Advancement Via Individual Determination
What is AVID?
AVID is an academic, regularly scheduled, elective program based on WICOR. WICOR stands for writing, inquiry, collaboration, and reading. AVID uses writing as a tool for learning, inquiry and collaboration as methods for gathering information, and reading to gain a deeper understanding of informational materials. The three main components of the program are academic instruction, tutorial support, and motivational activities.
- will succeed in rigorous curriculum,
- will complete a rigorous preparatory path,
- will enter mainstream activities of the school,
- will increase their enrollment in four-year colleges, and
- will become educated and responsible participants and leaders in a democratic society.
AVID's systematic approach is designed to support students and educators as they increase schoolwide/districtwide learning and performance.
AVID is a study skills class designed to assist students who are most underrepresented in the UC system toward college acceptance. Students applying for AVID have a GPA between 2.0 and 3.5.
Visit www.avid.org for more information.